Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Prairie Mornin'

Mornings on the Prairie are just so beautiful.  Especially after a wonderful evening with friends and a peaceful walk home.  We gathered for a barbecue to celebrate a birthday this week and I was thinking what a blessing friends are as I walked the brief two blocks home. My sister and her family came north for a wedding this week and stopped to visit our other sister during their busy week.  It sounds like they had a fabulous visit.  I could almost hear their laughter over morning coffee and caramel rolls as they began to catch up on their lives.  And everyone got to fuss over the new baby in the family.  My little group of friends are each as different as we could possibly be.  I often wonder why we are friends - we are that different from each other.  But when we're together, we're a tight group and there's nothing we wouldn't do for each other.  It was my mother's biggest fear that we sisters would not really know each other as adults.  But to our delight, we have bonded and can truly say we are all friends.  And we are all as different from each other as can be.  Our mother had five rose bushes planted in her yard.  Was she thinking of the five of us when she planted them? I like to think so.  I like to think of her prayers for us as she planted each one.  Her hopes and dreams for our futures.  She was that kind of mom.  A piece of her is in all of us...  whether it's her giggle, sparkling eyes, love of baking, creativity, or enthusiasm for life.  I always think a hug from my sister is like a hug from mom...  and how many hugs I missed on this last family visit.  I miss you all!

This is the salad I brought to the party last night.  I don't mind telling you it is fantastic.  Enjoy!

Heirloom Tomato Salad
6 medium yellow and red tomatoes (about 3 pounds. I used some cherry tomatoes also) cut into wedges
1 small Vidalia or other sweet onion, thinly sliced
2 T balsamic vinegar
2 T red wine vinegar
1 T sugar
1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper
1 c fresh basil leaves, chopped

Heat vinegars and sugar over medium heat about 1 minutes until sugar dissolves, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat; whisk in oil, garlic, salt and pepper.  Pour warm dressing over tomatoes; sprinkle with basil and toss gently to coat.  Let stand 30 minutes to blend flavors.  Toss before serving.


1 comment:

  1. The expression came to mind: "Bloom Where You Are Planted." Just like Mom's rose bushes bloomed, I believe because of her prayers for each of us, we are blooming where we live -- each different, but still grafted together because of the love of family. I am so proud of each of my dear sisters and I know Mom would be so pleased that we are truly friends.

    ReplyDelete