Monday, August 1, 2011

August? Already?

How can it be August already? As I sit here enjoying a yummy latte and gazing out onto the misty Montana badlands, I wonder where the summer went.  It seems just hours ago when the children flung off their shoes in celebration of a long summer vacation.  And yet here we are.  This time of year I start thinking about glistening jars of jams and pickles, county fairs and wistfully glancing at piles of books that will have to wait as my life gets busier.  Growing up in North Dakota, the summers seemed to go on forever.  We spent hours at the Wishek Pool and then playing far into the night until our parents called us in.  Weekends or evenings were spent at Green Lake.  While Dad fished, our mother perched on rocks and relaxed.  I often wonder now what she was dreaming about.  We clambered around, my sisters and I, shouting and running and occassionally trying our hand at fishing.  I don't remember ever catching anything, but my sister does remember  going out with a net to get a fish and having the fish chase her back to shore.  She never quite recovered from that.  I am so thankful for getting to grow up in such a wonderful place as North Dakota...

2 comments:

  1. You brought tears to my eyes as I pictured our family enjoying a nice summer evening at Green Lake. Keep posting ... I love your writings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that you are finally writing your stories down. You have such a talent. I am honored that I was the subject of your first story of the fish. you will not have trouble finding things to write about with the wonderful memories that our family made through the years and you will not have trouble writing about your memories you made in that not so sleepy town you live in. You make a story so entertaining that your readers will laugh and cry all in the same story. Keep it up you will do good. Love you little sister.

    ReplyDelete