Monday, August 1, 2011

Creamy Dilled Potatoes

Isn't dill the most wonderful herb?  I also love basil, rosemary and fennel.  You will be hearing a lot about them.  I have used dill in dozens of wonderful recipes from breads to soups.  It is so healthy for you and smells absolutely divine.  I swear, when I breathe in dill, I am transported right back to my mother's garden and can almost taste the sweet and sour pickles of my youth.  My dad loved pickles and every autumn Mom would can quart after quart.  It was our job to haul the jars downstairs to the old canning room and place them carefully on the shelves.  The sharp smell of vinegar and dill would fill the air as she chopped and sliced.  Oh my goodness I miss her...


Creamy Dilled Potatoes
6 small red potatoes
1 tablespoon thinly sliced green onion
2 teaspoons butter
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
2 to 3 teaspoons minced fresh dill
1/8 teaspoon salt
Dash pepper
With a vegetable peeler, remove a strip of peel around the middle of
each potato. Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or
until tender.

Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender.
Add the cream, dill, salt and pepper. Reduce heat; simmer for 4-5
minutes or until sauce is thickened. Drain potatoes; drizzle with
sauce and toss gently. Yield: 2 servings

2 comments: