Saturday, February 4, 2012

Snow Days

Wow, I can't believe I didn't write anything in January!  I really was super busy and distracted.  It was a beautiful month though, with only one week of cold weather.  The children at my school were so excited for snow and were busy for quite a while making snow forts and snowmen.  One little sweet pea was extra happy that the snow was sticky.  She kept saying it was just what she was hoping for!  I can remember the huge snowstorm in North Dakota in the mid sixties.  I can't actually remember the storm, but the after effects through the eyes of a child were magical.  I loved snow days as a kid.  We would huddle around the radio in the mornings, hoping and hoping they would call our school as closed.  When they finally did, there were whoops of joy and we immediately bundled into our red snowsuits and spent HOURS playing in the snow.  There's just something wonderful about snow days.  That particular year it snowed so much that the banks were often as high as roofs.  I remember watching our dad through the window rocking his old pickup back and forth until he gained purchase and was able to get unstuck and to work.  We would stay snug and warm sitting by the heating registers watching cartoons in the afternoon and waiting to see if there would be school the next day.  One clear memory was my sister and I burrowing tunnels all over the yard that winter.  In retrospect it was a stupid and dangerous thing to do, but we had tunnels dug all over under that huge snowpile.  We didn't have to drag our sleds very far to do some fun sledding, either.  Ah, those were the days.

2 comments:

  1. Once again you transported me to the little white house on South 9th Street. Vivian and I had a snow fort to play in on the farm, too. I wonder if the Gall boys built it because I sure don't remember doing it. I also remember when we were very little, living at Viv's farm, we had a lot of snow and Dad pulled us on a sled out to the main road. He dumped us into the snowbanks and laughed and laughed. Snow days were great fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great story! I've never heard that one before! You really made me smile.

      Delete