Saturday, November 19, 2011

First Snow

I read a post this morning where a young mom said her kids woke up to a winter wonderland this morning and how excited they were for the first snow.  We had our first snow during the night, so I missed watching the first flakes fall.  Growing up in North Dakota, the winters did seem magical.  We would rush through breakfast and then pull on our red snowpants and boots and rush out for hours of snow fun.  The one thing I can't remember doing is building snowmen, but I suppose we did when the snow was sticky enough to form a ball.  We ran around making tracks and built tunnels if the snow was deep enough.  I still am tempted to catch a snowflake on my tongue.

I honestly haven't tried this recipe yet, but maybe one of you will try it and let me know how it goes.  It just sounds fabulous.  Happy First Snow!
Wittamer’s Belgian Hot Chocolate
1 quart (1l) half-and-half or whole milk ( I think low fat would work just fine.)
8 ounces (230g) bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, finely chopped (try and find good quality chocolate)
4 ounces (115g) milk chocolate, finely chopped
tiny pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Warm about one-third of the half-and-half or milk, with the chopped chocolates and salt, stirring until the chocolate is melted.
2. Whisk in the remaining half-and-half or milk, heating until the mixture is warmed through. Add the cinnamon.
3. Use a hand-held blender, or a whisk, and mix the hot chocolate until it’s completely smooth. Serve very warm.
Serve with a poof of whipped cream and chocolate curls.

No comments:

Post a Comment