Monday, October 3, 2011

Turkey Buzzards

For some odd reason, I have grown fond of these huge birds that perch in a tree near the middle school playground.  I love the quizzical tilt of that one bird's head.  It's as if he's trying to figure us out.  In the evenings there can be fifty or more birds sitting around on braches, looking spectacularily spooky.  Until now, I have not been a fan of birds.  Especially after seeing an Alfred Hitchcock movie of birds going crazy.  My mom loved birds, however and saved all kinds of bread scraps to take out to her little feeder.  I think she liked to watch the birds as she did dishes.  Mom was a joyful woman and found all kinds of ways to celebrate little things in life.  I think all us girls have that same kind of joyful spirit.  We often share little things that amuse us.  My story today was discovering halfway through the work day that I had my garden shoes on instead of work shoes.  It wasn't very fashionable, but it sure was comfortable.  I actually was relieved that I had on a matching pair.  I'm sure that will be the next thing.  That did happen to a co-worker a few years ago.  They were the same color, but different heel size.  She wondered all day long why she felt like she was walking funny.  I love moments like those. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad that Mom stood at her kitchen window and watched the birds while she did the dishes. I find myself doing the same thing. I have two feeders outside my kitchen window and I often think of Mom while I watch the birds. I also remember that even though Dad didn't like the mess the birds made in his driveway, he still brought screenings home from the elevator for "Mom's" birds.

    ReplyDelete